Friday, September 21, 2012

Fun For Friday!

     I decided to type this post up including some recipes that I've recently posted on my Facebook Page before I got down to business with the real post for this week. Without further ado, here's some yummy, healthy food recipes for your Happy Friday, made in my own kitchen!  Enjoy. 
*Before you read any further, and find out my nasty secret- I shall disclaim these recipes by stating: I never really measure, and I apologize, so use your best judgement, and have fun!


Sha's Veggie Medley:
1/4 Cup cooked Quinoa (dash of coconut oil in the 1/2 cup water)
1/2 an avocado, diced
a few slivers of leek
*carrots

*green beans
*peppers in red, yellow, orange & green
*spinach
(These all came out to about a cup of veg, I dunno- I never measure!)
Saute veg w/ crushed garlic, and dash of ginger (to taste) in coconut oil with half a handful of chopped kale and hemp seeds thrown in for crunch, lemon juice dashed on the top just before spooning up!
 
 
 
 
 
Beetlicious:
1/4 cup quinoa (cooked in 1/2 cup water & coconut oil) 
Sauteed veggies (in coconut oil and Real Salt):
*green beans
*kale
*spinach
*peppers in multiple colors
*chopped beet
*chopped garlic
*chopped zucchini
*chopped leek slices
Toward the end of sauteeing, throw in a handful of slivered almonds(yum!)! All these veggies came out to be about a cup to a cup & a half total.
Chop up a couple of slices of tomatoes, cucumbers, and avocado to throw on top. I garnished with lemon juice, garlic powder, and Bubbies Pickles (the dill pickle relish).
 
 
 
Last, but certainly NOT least, the tofu tummy tickler-
 
Veggie Tofu Surprise:
(The surprise was: it was really yummy!)
No quinoa on this recipe! Unless you really want it...
1 Cup Long grain brown & wild rice (it was made up from a previous day, the joys of leftovers!) 
1 pkg. Wildwood Organic SprouTofu (I diced it and cooked the whole thing but only used about 1/4 cup in this dish) Extra Firm
For the Tofu:
Season coconut oil with chicken boullion, curry powder, ginger & garlic powders, a few basil flakes (or fresh basil if you have it on hand, sadly, I didn't), and a hint of cayenne pepper. Brown all sides, should come out a loverly shade of yellow! Don't forget the Real Salt to taste!
For the Veg:
Wilt kale and Spinach in your pan w/ coconut oil & lemon juice
Add: some organic mixed frozen veg of your choice ( I used a broccoli/cauliflower/
zucchini/carrot mix w/ some green beans & peppers added; should equal to about 1/4 cup mixed veg, and however much kale & spinach you can handle
Throw in some diced ginger & garlic, maybe about 1/2 tsp each (Mmmmm!)
At the last minute, just to heat them up, toss in a handful of kidney beans.
Your veg should be soft, but not soggy! 
Picture:
1: Steaming veggies & beans!
2: Just look at that delicious caramelized tofu!
3: Layering the rice, veg, then top off w/ tofu
4 Beautiful finished product!
 
 
     I hope you enjoy your time in the kitchen as much as I do.  I will post more recipes as I make them- so long as they keep turning out yummy! As you can see, these are all vegetarian dishes.  I have started to limit my intake of meat to one meal per day.  This has made it so much more fun to experiment in the kitchen!  Plus, I started to implement Meatless Monday this week, and that site seems to have a ton of great recipes to never get tired of trying and Pinning! This limiting my meat intake experiment is something I started doing because I intend to make a difference in my world, and my health.  I am starting to see the results of this lifestyle change (I'm not going to call it a "diet"), and you can too!  Who said vegetarian has to be boring?  While I'm not ready to commit to a whole vegetarian lifestyle, this small change is going to have a wonderful impact upon my life, as it will also set a standard for those I live with, I hope...  To your health!


Namaste!
 
     

 
 


 
 
 
 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment