Friday, September 21, 2012

Goals: Yea or Nay?


     I had an assignment in class the other day (I am certifying to be a Kindermusik teacher), it was on the importance of setting goals. In order to understand why this assignment may have been the slightest bit difficult for me, one must know that I have never set goals in my life.  I never wanted to be disappointed just in case I didn't reach them.  Now, I ask you: Is this a logical way to look at not setting goals?  I had always thought so. But I found, through this assignment, that envisioning your dreams helps motivate you.  This really explains quite a bit in my life: No vision = No motivation. Hmmmm...
     
     




We were told to draw two different pictures on two blank sheets of paper, one entitled, "My Life Today" the other, "My Dream Life." Although my drawings aren't art gallery worthy, here's what I came up with:


 



     I know they're small, and you probably cannot tell what's going on in them, but let's just say that in picture one, there's not a lot going on, a lot of dreaming, and a lot of "getting nowhere" to be had.  In the second picture, the page is filled, the thought bubble dream becomes the focus of the picture, bringing the dream into reality.  
     The second part of the assignment was to compare the two pictures, note the differences, then choose one word to describe the essence of the difference between the two.  This word then becomes your "Vision Word."  I can't say I've ever had a vision word before let alone "vision"...
 
     I chose my "Vision Word," and you can tell me if it fits:
FULFILLMENT
We were to write that word on a separate piece of paper close to the second drawing, I chose a star-shaped Post-It to write it on & affixed it to a top corner.
      
     The assignment went further, I will just convey to you the part that REALLY helped me see how important making goals can be. We were to write goals in increments of: next few upcoming months, one year from now, and three years from now. It has always been so hard for me to think of the future when my life has always been so unpredictable, hence, why I've not set any goals.  I've especially not ever written them down.
     But, my grey matter was already working like a well-oiled machine from the previous leg of this journey, so I found that it became that much easier to see what I would like for myself in terms of Kindermusik (they listed some examples to get you motivated, which was really nice!).  I did choose goals for this career path (I've never even used that word "career" before when speaking of jobs), but I also chose personal goals.  I figured, if there is a remote chance that goals, when written and placed in a prominent spot, can come to fruition- then I'll give it a whirl! Here they are:


     With this assignment, I started to see why people might set goals. I also started to see that maybe in setting goals, they could possibly be reached. It's really not that big of a stretch to see that! I have a sister-in-law that had told me about something called a "Dream Board."  Now, where have I heard of that before?  Ah yes, after digging through my drug addled past, I HAVE heard of a Dream Board! Have I not mentioned watching The Secret previously?  
     Anyway- She told me that she made a big poster board and pasted cutouts of good "things" from magazine pictures she wanted in her life in different areas. She made this board with HER PICTURE in the middle, to attract all those good things to her, she stated.  
     She said (just yesterday, meaning all these good things have happened from then till NOW) that within 5 years, she had everything that she had put on that Dream Board in her life! I intend to make a proper Dream Board with MY PICTURE in the middle very soon!  I am looking for a proper collage type app online with which to do that, any suggestions? I suppose I could do it the "old-fashioned way" because I only found apps on my phone that would allow for 10 pictures maximum, and I couldn't arrange the pictures the way I wanted them so (*sigh*) this is what I came up with for now:

    

This class assignment/project has my brain working now, I believe that was the reason it was part of our syllabus. I hope that if some of you aren't already making goals, writing them out, or making a Dream Board, that you will decide to change your way of thinking. In my mind, this project only solidified my favorite quote:


Namaste!



2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this assignment too! Didn't know I would end up learning about so many other things in my life when I started certifying for kindermusik.

    I love your blog!! Maybe I can try some of your recipes sometime. I love healthy stuff, but it is hard when so many around me think that healthy is just yucky :(

    I would be careful with "the secret" movie though. I started watching it too until I realized it is close but just a little twisted from the truth. I do believe that we should all have hope and let good things come to us. But we must also add in that essential component of always finding out what God wants for us first and then asking him to help us find the way to do his will--THEN all those good things (if they are His desires too) will be attracted to us as we make a space for them in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meh, healthy doesn't have to be yucky. I'm living proof of that! If you use the right herbs and spices, even your tofu can be superb! I truly believe that The Secret , and What the Bleep do We Know have some good basic fundamentals, but we add in what we KNOW is missing. God is always, and will remain for me, anyway, My Source. The closer I come to knowing Him, the more I will understand things I can't explain for my life. Such as this lesson with the job. The Lord wants me to go in a different direction. I am hoping that I am drawing closer to Him, and what He wants for me by trying to do what I know is right, and staying positive. Prayer is HUGE for me right now in the staying positive field. You know the saying having a prayer always in your heart? That's me. I have too often fallen asleep praying, and I awake praying, and pray always throughout the day. If the website that I am creating is my direction, so be it. I'm not gonna knock a cook job though should it happen over my doorstep...

      Delete