The human energy field and spine contain energy centers called chakras. These vibrate at different frequencies, each holding a power or gift which enhances the human experience. As we connect with the energy from each chakra, we are able to tap into its individual strength and gift to enhance our life experience.
Each chakra also represents strength and energy to specific organs in our body snd offer healing to the body in these areas. The main features of each chakra are listed below for you to use as a tool in healing emotionally, physically, mentally, and energetically.
“In the body there are many kinds of channels, which are very extensive. The sage must understand them in order to understand his own body… Running transversely, up and down, they exist in the body joined together like a wheel, dependent on the life-force and linked to the breath of the body.” –From the Shiva-Svarodaya Tantra, traditional Indian teaching on the subtle anatomy of the body.
- Base Chakra, Foundation of Energy, Red, Earth, survival, power to achieve goals, vitality, grounding. Located at the base of the spine, this chakra creates the foundation for our chakra system. It is essential to our survival instincts, and to our sense of grounding, and connection to our bodies and the physical plane. When balanced and energized, this chakra brings us health, prosperity (which is more important in the heart chakra), security, and dynamic presence.
- Sacral Chakra, Pleasure Center, Orange, Water, primal feelings, sexuality, desire, sensuality, procreation. Located in the abdomen/lower back, it is essential to emotions and sexuality. It connects us to others through feeling, desire, sensation, and movement. When balanced and energized, this chakra brings us fluidity and grace, depth of feeling, sexual fulfillment, and the ability to accept change.
- Solar Plexus, Coordination and Organization, Yellow, Fire, personal power, social identity, influence, authority, self-control. Located between the naval and heart, at the pericardium, this chakra is known as the power chakra, and rules will-power, metabolism and autonomy. When balanced and energized this chakra enhances our proficiency, spontaneity, energy and grounded power.
- Heart Chakra, Relationships, Green, Air, unconditional/divine love and harmony, forgiveness, healing, compassion, understanding. Located at the heart, it is the middle chakra, related to love and balancing opposites (male and female etc.). When balanced and energized, it allows us to love deeply, feel compassion, have a deep sense of peace and centeredness. It also helps us in gaining abundance (prosperity- shift from root to heart).
- Throat Chakra, Communication, Blue, Ether, free/creative self expression, communication, inspiration, confidence. Located in the throat, and is associated with communication and creativity. When balanced and energized, it translates vibrations and sounds into language or communication and helps us to articulate out thoughts and emotions.
- Third Eye, Spiritual Vision, Indigo, All Elements, inner vision, intuition, insight, clairvoyance, imagination. Also known as the Brow Chakra, it is located just above the brow line in the center of the forehead. It is related to the act of seeing, both physically and intuitively. When balanced and energized it allows us to see the big picture and see subtler, less obvious things.
- Crown Chakra, Unity of Thought, Violet, All Elements, perfection, integration/unity with the Omnipresent Being, divine wisdom. Located at the top of the head, it relates to consciousness as pure awareness. It is our connection to the greater world beyond, and the divine. When balanced and energized this chakra brings us knowledge, wisdom, understanding, and spiritual connection, and bliss.
- Foot Zone Therapy Advanced Training: The Endocrine and digestive Systems; 2009; K. Duvall and C. Christensen, pp. 34-41, Academy of Foot Zone Therapy© (some re-wording at Admin’s discretion)